Everything You Need to Know About Jaigarh Fort, Jaipur
Jaigarh Fort, Jaipur is a monumental fort located on the promontory of the Aravalli range situated at the height of 500m above sea level. The fort was originally built to protect the Amer Fort and its palace complex by Jai Singh II in 1726 and was also named after the King. There is something unique about the fort that attracts history enthusiasts, photographers and culture buffs from worldwide. One of the most famous things about the fort is that it exhibits the largest cannon on wheels in Asia, known as the Jaivana cannon. The cannon was built inside the fort and is said to have participated in many famous Rajput battles and wars. Other attractions inside the fort include the Aram Mandir, the Vilas Mandir, Laxmi Vilas and the Lalit Mandir.
Another extraordinary feature of this fort is the lattice-work windows and square-shaped gardens, which were influenced by the Persian architectural style. The fort served as a safe place for Rajputana warriors as they could hide their arms, ammunition, and treasure here, which could be used in case of a war.
Things to See at Jaigarh Fort
Jaivana: It is the largest cannon in Asia. You will be amazed by its massive structure and stunning design. It is 6 meters tall and weighs around 50 tonnes. Moreover, the cannon can turn in any direction.
Exhibition of Arms: There are 18th-century weapons and artilleries on display. You will come across several cannonballs, shields, swords, guns, bombs, etc.
Temples: There are numerous temples to explore, including the ones inside Amer fort. Some of these temples were built before the 10th century.
Museum: The museum here offers insights into the lives of the past rulers and warriors along with their photographs and some rare artefacts.
Diya Burj: Diya Burj is the highest point in the fort. It will offer exhilarating views of the entire region of Amer, the mighty Aravalli Mountain Range, and Amer Fort as well.
Exciting Facts About Jaigarh Fort
- The Jaigarh Fort is entirely made of red sandstone, which is composed of dressed stone, and it has been held together with lime mortar.
- Two former rulers of Jaigarh Fort, Major General Man Singh II and Sawai Bhawani Singh, served in the Indian Army post Independence.
- Due to the thick and massive walls of the Jaigarh Fort, it was never conquered by any ruler. This is the reason why this fort is also called the Victory Fort.
- The main attraction of the fort is the Jaivana Cannon, which was one of the largest cannons in the world at that time, and is now the largest moveable cannon in Asia. It can still be found on the premises of the Jaigarh Fort.
- The cannon weighs over 50 tonnes, has a 20.19 feet long barrel and a diameter of 11 inches.
- The fort has a central watchtower which was used by rules to keep an eye on the outsiders or invaders. It now serves as the most beautiful viewpoint in the Amer area, which offers a splendid view of the mountainside.
- Jaigarh Fort received a lot of media coverage in 1977 as it was rumoured that a hidden treasure left by the Kachwaha rulers was now found within the premises of the fort. The then Prime Minister, Indira Gandhi, announced a treasure hunt in the fort for three days. The officers from the Income Tax Department searched the Jaigarh Fort for the Kachwada treasure, but ultimately no treasure was found.
Jaigarh Fort, Jaipur Timings
The fort is open for visitors on all days from Monday to Saturday, from 9:30 am to 4:45 pm. On Saturdays, the fort remains open till 8:00 pm.
Jaigarh Fort, Jaipur Fee
The Jaigarh Fort, Jaipur ticket price for Indians is Rs. 35, while tourists and foreigners from outside the country have to pay Rs. 85 as the entry fee.
Best Time to Visit
The best time to visit the Jaigarh fort is between November to February. These are the winter months in Amer, and while you can enjoy the chilly breeze at night, the mornings are pleasant and allow for a great opportunity to explore the fort.
How to Reach Jaigarh Fort
The Jaipur airport is connected to all major cities in India by flight. From Jaipur Airport, one can hire buses, taxis or rickshaws to take them to Jaigarh Fort. You can book a cab or car rental with JCR, and we’ll take care of the rest.